Donations needed for Spokanimal's Prison Dog program | News
Spokanimal is starting up their Prison Dog program at Airway Heights Corrections Center and they’re in need of some last minute supplies to help their training go smoothly.
The program allows some of their dogs to live on-site with an offender to help the dogs become more adoptable, but also help offenders develop a new skills for teamwork, conflict resolution and reduced recidivism.
They’re starting the first week of training for the dogs now and in the next few weeks they’ll start taking the first couple of dogs out to offenders.
These items have been approved by the Airway Heights Corrections so any donations need to be the listed items. The below list applies to each dog in the program. If there's more than one dog, they'll need to double up on this list. Treats expire so it’s okay to donate cash to go toward buying fresh food in the future.
- 1 Bag of Ziwi Peak dog food (available at Prairie Dog Mercantile)
- Several bags of Zukes, any shape or flavor (available at many pet supply stores)
- 2 pair Millers Fordge Dog Nail Trimmers, Orange Handle, NO Nail Guard (available at most pet stores)
- 1 Furminator for small-medium dogs
- 2 pin brushes
- 2 bristle brushes
- 2 Mainstays 1 gallon containers from WalMart (clear plastic with white screw on lid)
- 2 28 quart plastic storage boxes with lids from WalMart (flat sweater box style)
- 4 paperback copies of "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor
To get the program going, they need donations prior to May 2nd. You can drop them off at Spokanimal during business hours. They're located at 710 N. Napa in Spokane.